Residential program (Ages 9-15)
The residential program allows young people from around the world to experience summer life at Tabor Academy by residing in various dormitories located throughout the campus.
Campers will live in either a single or double room and the dormitory will have a furnished common room where they will meet for check-ins or just socialize. At least 2 residential counselors, from our energetic and talented staff, will reside in each dorm.
The number of students who live in a dorm will range from 10-20. Living with one’s peers allows participants the ability to develop relationships and share ideas with people from around the United States and the world.
The contact between dorm mates might be one of those wonderful connections you make for the summer and beyond.
Weekday Evening Activities
At the end of the activity day, our residential campers return to the dorms for showers and some down time before dinner. After dinner the fun starts again! Our evening activities throughout the week are filled with competitions between our Port and Starboard teams, exciting and different activity sign ups for the Bow & Stern nights, quality time within the dorm during Dorm Night, and not to mention, three or four dances throughout the six weeks.
- Bow & Stern: During our Bow & Stern sign up nights, children are provided with the opportunity to spend time with friends they have made at Tabor. Earlier in the day, everyone is informed of the activities that will be offered that night and then before dinner sign up for the activity of their choice. Past activities include trips to the movies, playing miniature golf, arcades and more! Friendly basketball or volleyball games, making friendship bracelets, and scrapbooks are just a few of the children’s favorite activities.
- Port & Starboard: The Port and Starboard program is a biweekly evening activity which divides the residential program into several competitions. Run by the “Admiral,” this fun intramural program is a competition for total points. At the start of the program, children are issued a red (Port) or green (Starboard) T-shirt to wear for these evenings. Some of the competitions are creative and the team that can create the best looking green or red outfit, make-up, or hat captures points. The rivalry builds as the summer progresses, culminating at the Program Awards Ceremony. Activities may included tug of war, cardboard box boat races, athletic competitions, obstacle courses, and capture the flag. The Port and Starboard competitions become a memorable part of every residential child’s summer experience.
- Dorm Night: Dorm Night takes place every Wednesday and provides each residential group with time to get to know their dorm mates and their dorm counselors. This is a wonderful opportunity to create community and friendships among your child’s peers. Past dorm night activities include beach walks, mystery trips, pizza and a movie in the dorm, laser tag and more!
- On Saturdays, the residential staff plans fun-filled activities on and off campus for our residential campers. These activities are designed to give campers the opportunity to bond as residents in safe and fun environments.
- On Sundays, campers that are staying on will have their choice of activities during the day. Some might decide to double up on their preferred activities for some additional instruction, while others choose an option that is of interest to them. Whatever their decision, they will be well supported by their counselors. On bright and sunny days, the children will take a leisurely walk to Silver Shell Beach to experience small town America. For evening entertainment, our Events Coordinator organizes fun events for the residential program to enjoy.